Sunday, December 7, 2008

Secrets of digital detectives

The devil is in the details, so they say, and now computer technology exists to do the detailed work of tracking criminal activity. These new software programs analyze patterns from insurance claims and credit-card transactions. Anti-fraud software is designed to sift through mundane details and permutations that humans inevitably miss. It works by using statistical data from past transactions to determine a probability score for fraud versus legitimacy. The results have saved companies millions of dollars. Anti-fraud software is also used in the telecom industry to identify fraud on mobile networks. Of course, thieves have countered back and changed certain behaviors to avoid detection, but so far the software is working well for business and getting more sophisticated.

I am usually opposed programs that make it easy for business and government to spy on people, but in this case, I think the computer programs are highly beneficial and serve the greater good. Fraud is rampant in our society and quite expensive for honest consumers. None of us likes to pay higher prices and premiums. On the other hand, I’m a person with weird spending habits. I might shop at a thrift store and Nordstrom’s on the same day or eat at Zeke’s greasy spoon on my way to the opera. So far, my spending habits have not set off any false positives with my credit cards, but I’d better be careful.

No comments: